Sunday, April 27, 2014

Severe Storm

Our weather man, Gerry is actually out in this weather situation, so I am here at the editor's desk listening to the wind rustling the tender green leaves of spring.  Actually it's more than rustling, it's more than whistling, while not quite howling.  I had an interesting conversation with Gerry, Friday that really stirred my thinking.  As you have probably already ascertained from the beginning of this paragraph, I am not a weather person.  He is a weatherman.  He has a completely different perspective and excitement, if you will, about this severe weather business.  He sees the grandeur as the storms form, I see the aftermath.  It's not exactly the glass half full, half empty perspective, but our views were definitely not on the "same page" in the conversation.

As I spoke with him Friday evening, he said the severe weather was about 48 hours out.  I told him, the animals behavior indicated the same thing.  For me, inclement weather means preparation and hatches battened down.  For Gerry, it means hitting the road with video equipment and phone.  Having forty-eight hours to prepare, with one of those 24 hour periods being Shabbat was a blessing, I believe.  I didn't run around starting a bunch of new projects, I simply made sure the emergency candle basket was accounted for, and the critters all had extra food.  It's interesting what YHWH created in these animals, in that they sense ahead of time the weather will be prohibitive for grazing, so before a storm, they eat and eat and eat . . .

Of course I'll be glad to have Gerry's weather reports again, but I'm hoping many of the images are "pretty cloud" pictures and rainbows.  For the next few weeks, we will be sharing various memories of past storms, and hopefully, no current ones, but there is no doubt, storms are inevitable.  Make the preparations that are needed, take the precautions that are wise, and then if you know the Master of the wind, fear not.

No comments:

Post a Comment